Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Whipped Strawberries

 90 pages = roughly 18,000 words

Writings been going very well.  Ive been hitting my target of 10 pages a day, almost every day. I'm currently at 90 pages :) Tomorrow ill hit my first 100 mark, I'm so excited.  Coming this far on one of my novels has really motivated me and brought me to a new high.  I think Ive finally gotten past the bad humps and will write whether I think its good or bad.

My first draft is written in longhand which I find intimidating, only because I fear I may never go back and type it all in -.-, but hopefully, the excitement of having a novel actually complete will compel me to take the final steps in my editing process. Once I have my rough draft complete (probably in a couple months if I can keep up the rate) then I can refine my writing and add sprinkle in the flowing sentences and paragraphs.  I think if I end up writing 500 pages longhand I could probably get like 600 in type only because of how rough this draft is I'm writing longhand.  Sometimes I just write a sentence of a noun and 3 adjectives strung together to get the general feel for things and move on.  Im also having a little bit of trouble with the third person, although, I think its getting better.  I went back and read some of my first person and I feel like its so much easier for me to write from, but for this book first person isn't really the ideal.  Id have to do my first 3 books in first person and my 4th in third person to tie it altogether, sounds interesting, but it could also completely lose a reader and ruin the end entirely for them.  I think I should stay consistent. 

A quick note on longhand and then I'm wrapping this rant up-  Ive been searching for a blog entry or somebody to talk about longhand and the editing process.  I'm SURE I haven't looked thoroughly enough, but I'm really curious. If you were to write a novel longhand would you write it all first and then go back and type in? Or would you write /type/ write/type...so the project isn't so daunting?  Ive tried the write/type/write/type which I feel like makes sense so the overall project isn't so bad,however, it also gets me (personally) stuck in the editing process and the rest of the story never ends up coming out because by the time I'm done typing out /editing the first chapter I'm over it all.   Am I crazy?? So I'm writing the whole thing by hand first and THEN typing...blah..



Strawberries + Whip Cream + Sugar = Delicious 

1 comment:

  1. No, I totally think you should write everything, THEN start typing. Like you said, if you write then type then write then type, you get stuck in one place and it might derail you and you could have trouble moving forward.
    Congrats on ninety pages! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete